Sunday, September 14, 2008

Something to think about

Jeff and I just finished two days of Stake Conference. Last night on Saturday night we received such good information. Our Stake President and his counselors are such good teachers and the saturday night session (which is my favorite) turned into a teaching session with people in the congregation raising their hands and answering questions.

One of the things that stands out in my mind is what our Stake President said.

"We are intended to have peace and joy in troubled times."

How grateful I am to know the gospel and realize that all around us there may be turmoil but in our hearts and in our homes we are intended to have peace and joy.

Ten Principles he shared for financial stability, we all know but a great reminder.

1. Pay an honest tithing
2. Learn to manage money before it manages you
3. Learn self disipline and restraint
4. Use a budget, have a three month emergency fund
5. Teach your family the importance of learning and earning.
6. Teach children to make money decisions
7. Teach each family member how they contribute to the total family budget
8. Teach education as a continual process
9. Work toward home ownership, even in a modest home a family can find a safe place to worship
10. Involve yourself in appropriate insurance.

Don't forget food storage and BE WISE!!

Then our Stake President asked each of us to turn to someone next to us and share with them 'The greatest desire of your Heart". Well, when you say something like that you really get me choked up, so I turned to Jeff but I couldn't talk right away. I said" to have each of my children and their children with us in Eternity". Jeff said to have all our children in the Temple with us someday". Both great goals. But ones that only come about with righteous living, fasting and prayer.
Then the next question, "what would you do to obtain those blessings."

As I was listening I really didn't want to take notes, afraid I would miss something like you do when you are too busy writing everything down. Several years ago Elder Bednar came to Evanston and told us only to write down the things we were prompted to write and not the words he was saying. He taught us that the things the spirit whispers during these times when we are gathered to learn is what we should remember. So here it is....

I wonder all the time about the blessings that I have been given in my Patriarchal Blessing. Some of those blessings as I live righteously directly bless my children, so I have questioned at times why the blessings are not in place NOW..... ( I get impatient).. But then I remember that we are here for a lifetime. And I trust the Lord that those blessing will be mine.

Here is what the spirit gave me. " I do not doubt that I will return to my Savour. I live each day the best I can so that my children will receive the blessing that have been promised."

Suffice it to say that tears were very close to the surface through the evening.

Then another great truth was taught. Up on an overhead was placed a letter to all members that was distributed to the Church in 1999. One part of it said, 'Teach Preeminence.... of home and family". And of course I needed to know what that really meant.
Preeminence: "Above all else".
Teach that "above all else" our home and family are first.

Above all else...

In troubled times remember, Your covenant protects you and shelters you to protect you as you obtain the blessings that were promised.

To all who stopped to read today, this is just a little note to my family. I love you, pray for you and know you will be protected. Be Wise.....

2 comments:

Croslands said...

That was really enjoyable to read. You really remembered things well for not taking notes. I plan on using Elder Bednars advice at my next RS meeting. Thanks

Leslie said...

That was a nice read. Jim and I didn't make it to Stake Conference. I had the WORST cold/flu virus. Jim was already sick, so we stayed home feeling sorry for ourselves. It was nice to get a bit of Stake Conference wisdom from you since we missed out.